Wednesday, August 22, 2007

let me massage your eyes and ears

Due to a busy work week and general chaos Mr. Robinson was unable to contribute to last weeks blog-o-rhythm. However, he's back this week and ready to be your A/V sherpa on the journey of mashups and all things magestical from YouTube:::::>>>

Back in the 80’s and early 90’s dorks like me had to get their out-of-print movies, Heavy Metal Parking Lots, ridiculous religious and government propaganda, and meme-of-the-moment videos via something called the underground tape circuit. This meant squinting at 10th generation dubs of sex-ed films from the 50’s. Well, I often find myself also squinting at blurry YouTube videos – sometimes ripped from 10th generation VHS tapes themselves. Still, while back in the day, there was a mashup or meme every year or so, they are now hurled at us every day. Speaking for myself, I think this is a good thing for the most part. I’m not saying that there needs to be a Final Fantasy or Sims 2 mashup for every Carrie Underwood or Nickelback song (there is), but damn, there are a lot of talented junior editors with way too much time on their hands and we get to reap the benefits.

The first mashup animation I ever saw (and according to the Interwebs, the first one) was a dubbed tape of 3 pieces called Apocalypse Pooh, Blue Peanuts, and a video of The Archies performing God Save The Queen. These works of genius were watched repeatedly by me and my stoned friends and I was overjoyed to find them on YouTube.

In tribute to these great pioneering mashups, I bring you my top 3 mashups of the week.

1. The dance of the moment, Crank Dat Soulja Boy, reinterpreted by SpongeBob Squarepants.






2. Whoever the hell user jc0123a is, he or she is a genius! DJ Unk and Bob Fosse happily together? Who’d a thunk it! This is a hundred times better than The Wizard of Oz and The Dark Side of the Moon.







3. This one is not even a mashup, but the result of blood, sweat, tears, and a closed down ShowBiz Pizza. Apparently from South Georgia, christhrash has painstakingly hacked an animatronic Country Jamboree Bear Band to perform the greatest hits of yesterday and today. Yesterday’s Der Kommissar is amazing, but this one will blow you away! (props to Idolator)





3 comments:

Tall Cotton said...

If you knew the things I was up to as a child at ShowBiz Pizza you'd never attend another surprise party for me again. i dig the news and apocalypse pooh....

silly retort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW2GhoItKkw

a.l.j. said...

you're a good egg mr. gunn. fun times last night.

and this is my retort to your retort:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A4_a5tZM8QQ

amazonian anecdotes said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-h1NZZVys

oh yes.

oh, oh yes.