Saturday, February 2, 2008

land of the heartless


riding on the bus the other night, slightly nodding off with the coo of
autoclave in my
ears.
i look over to my left and notice a young fellow, early twenties rocking a serious albino bone thugs n' harmony hairdo. he sheepishly smiles at me a few times, but i'm so delirious that i don't pay too much attention. i do start to notice that he is feverishly typing and re-typing some serious text message: perhaps to his fellow bone thug friend? to his sister telling her to pick up more kitty litter for their cat named lawrence withers? quickly he completes his text and thrusts his arm in my line of vision and the text reads:
HI! ARE YOU MARRIED? IF NOT DO YOU WANT TO GO OUT? YOU ARE PRETTY.
a flush took over my face, i grinned and said i have a boyfriend, but thanked him all the same. all of this was said to him in a sort of deaf voice, as i was still wearing my headphones. i then felt very awkward, not for myself but for this young guy. i give credit to all the young mens hustling via CTA vehicular woo.



2 comments:

kid extraordinaire said...

That's pretty cute...I like how he assumed you were either married or not, no in between.

I was at a coffee shop once years ago listening to my CD player while studying and when I went to change CDs there was a note on top of my player with a similar inquiry as in your tale. Five years later we're happily married with two adorable kids...the man of my dreams knew exactly how to reach out to me.

Yeah right! I just looked over to see this sheepish looking dood with Carrot Top-like hair with a deer-in-headlights look, to which I responded with a startled "no thanks" nod and spent the rest of my time awkwardly flipping through my book and peeking across my shoulder to see if he'd gone away.

Of course, it was was, say, Christian Bale or a resurrected Jimmy Stewart (yes..!), I highly doubt I'd mind...

a.l.j. said...

db: discman disser!